12 companies in Midlands region shortlisted in UK Private Business Awards 2016
12 of the most successful and innovative private businesses operating in the Midlands region have been shortlisted for the sixth annual UK Private Business Awards, often referred to as the Diamonds.
The finalists have been selected from over a thousand entries from private businesses across the UK and reflect the increasing diversity in the private business landscape.
The Awards recognise achievements and the important contribution that entrepreneurs and private businesses make to their community and the UK economy.
The dynamic businesses on the shortlist demonstrate how the UK’s private business sector is innovating and growing across a diverse range of industries.
The Midlands businesses who have been shortlisted in the UK Private Business Awards 2016 are:
- John Taylor Hospice CIC is shortlisted in the Social Enterprise of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by Glencraft (Aberdeen) Ltd. John Taylor Hospice has been providing expert end of life care to families in Birmingham since 1910. Its purpose is to ease the personal and financial cost of illness and death just a little every day.
- Lioncourt Homes Ltd is shortlisted in the High Growth Business of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by BGF. Based in Worcester, Lioncourt Homes builds quality homes in the Midlands and Central England and is led by an experienced team of senior executives all of whom were formerly with the Westbury Group.
- Eyespace Eyewear Ltd is shortlisted in the Rising Star of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by Design Portfolio. Based in Stoke Prior in Worcestershire, Eyespace was founded in 2013 and is already the UK’s fastest-growing eyewear supplier.
- Rigby Group plc is shortlisted in the Private Business of the Year Award category. Based in Stratford upon Avon in Warwickshire, Rigby Group was formed in 1975 and is the parent company for a portfolio of privately owned and highly successful businesses operating across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
- Tumour Trace Ltd is shortlisted in the Technology Innovation of the Year Award category. Tumour Trace is based in Nottingham and is dedicated to developing innovative, patented cancer screening and diagnostic technology.
- Emma Ayres from Bennie Group Ltd (The) is shortlisted in the Private Business Woman of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by PwC. The Bennie Group is a family business that was founded over 75 years ago. Now in its third generation of family management, the Group employs nearly 300 people and is based in Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire. The Group has eight divisions across multiple businesses and a variety of different industries; ranging from earthmoving, to orthopaedic footwear.
- Dr Nik Kotecha, Chief Executive Officer at Pharmaceuticals Ltd is shortlisted in the CEO of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by The Supper Club. Based in Loughborough in Leicestershire, Morningside Pharmaceuticals Ltd has supplied quality pharmaceuticals and medical device products both in the UK and internationally for over 20 years.
- LJ Fairburn and Son Ltd is shortlisted in the Family Business of the Year Award category. Based in Alford in Lincolnshire, LJ Fairburn and Son is a family egg production and farming business producing over 13 million eggs a week. With 70 units across 15 farms, it is one of the largest egg producers and packers in the UK.
- Goodwill Solutions CIC is shortlisted in the Social Enterprise of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by Glencraft (Aberdeen) Ltd. Based in Northampton, Goodwill Solutions aims to help the local community by running projects such as the Back to Work programme, training ex-offenders, the homeless and disadvantaged youths for employment in the logistics sector. It also supplies low cost, high quality furniture to local people and charities.
- Jan Flawn from PJ Care Ltd is shortlisted in the Private Business Woman of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by PwC. PJ Care is a leading provider of specialist neurological care and neuro rehabilitation for people with progressive or acquired neurological conditions. Based in Milton Keynes, it specialises in the multidisciplinary care of adults and work with residents, families, charities and the NHS to provide the highest quality care for their residents.
Two businesses that work with the private business team at PwC in the Midlands have also been shortlisted in the awards. They are:
- Tuskerdirect Ltd, the UK’s leading car benefit company, is shortlisted in the High Growth Business of the Year Award category, which is sponsored by BGF.
- Josh Valman from RPD International (Rapid Product Development Ltd) is shortlisted in the Emerging Entrepreneur of the Year Award category. RPD International helps companies develop and produce new products.
- Chris Romans, partner and private business leader at PwC in the Midlands, commented:
“I’m delighted to see so many Midlands private businesses on the shortlist. It showcases the very best of the companies who have entered from across the country and recognises and celebrates entrepreneurs, their businesses and their teams.
Privately owned businesses are the back-bone of the Midlands and wider UK economy, and we are passionate about supporting and celebrating their successes.
“We wish all the shortlisted companies luck in the national final, which is a fantastic celebration of achievements of private businesses.”
Previous winners from the Midlands include:
- 2014: Redditch-based The Genuine Gemstone Company won International Business of the Year in The Private Business Awards 2014.
- 2013: Rigby Group was awarded Family Business of the Year and Northamptonshire-based Blue Skies Holdings won Social Enterprise of the Year.
- 2012: Staffordshire-based JCB won Private Business of the Year, Tamworth-based Instarmac scooped Employer of the Year and Chrissie Rucker, who is based in Shropshire and owns luxury bedding, clothing and home accessories company, The White Company, won Business Woman of the Year.
- 2011: Leicestershire-based food manufacturer, Samworth Brothers, won Family Business of the Year.
The winners of the UK Private Business Awards will be announced at a gala dinner on 15 September 2016 at The Brewery, Chiswell Street, London EC1.
To find out more about the awards visit www.ukpba-awards.co.uk