Record breaking passenger growth rates continue for Birmingham Airport
Birmingham Airport has entered another year drawing in record breaking monthly passenger figures with January being the busiest start to the year on record for the airport.
In total 775,176 passengers were handled in January 2017 – giving a 16.1% growth year-on-year compared to the same month last year.
Long haul demand for seats was also very significant showing a 29.5% rate of growth. Short haul also experienced strong growth up by 13.4% year-on-year.
David Winstanley, Chief Operating Officer at Birmingham Airport, said:
“It is great to see the consecutive record breaking months continue. This is our twenty third in a row, giving us our best January and start to the year here at Birmingham Airport.
“We have had a lot to celebrate in recent months with the close of 2016 showing we handled over 11.6 million passengers – the most we’ve ever recorded in our 75 year history.
“More airlines and routes are to be announced in the near future and so we expect the airport to continue to grow and be successful over the next 12 months.
“We are also finalising details regarding our 2030 Master Plan, which will be published over the summer months, this will show our long term commitment to improving services and facilities for our passengers and how we plan to grow as an organisation going forward.”
Scheduled traffic in January accounted for 91% of the total with charter passengers making up the remaining 9%.
Scheduled traffic overall grew by 17.1%, with the most significant growth on routes to Madrid (+300.6%), Sal Island (+121.8%), Berlin (85.9%), Reykjavik (+54.3%), Warsaw (+53.4%) and Malta (+50.8%).
Charter traffic experienced 6.9% growth and significant increases on services to Hurghada (+33.5%), Alicante (+19.9%), Montego Bay (+19.8%), Madeira (+11.2%) and Gran Canaria (+11.2%).