Greater Birmingham currently accounts for 30% of all automotive production in the UK, employing 26,000 people and providing the highest concentration of Tier 1 and 2 suppliers in the UK. Almost £1.5 billion worth of UK-based automotive Research and Development is also carried out here – accounting for more than 45% of the UK automotive industry’s Research and Development.
The Automotive sector in Greater Birmingham
- Greater Birmingham boasts the highest concentration of automotive employment in the UK.
- Optimum access to all UK based automotive OEMs within a three hour drive and to all aspects of the auto supply chain, including Tier 1, 2, 3 suppliers.
- 60% of all UK automotive production can be found within 100km of Birmingham.
- 25,000 are employed directly in the automotive sector representing 16% of the UK’s workforce in this sector.
Aerospace is a globally integrated industry with core competencies in systems that power and control aircraft. Specialisms include systems engineering, flight controls, landing gear and braking systems.
The Aerospace sector in Greater Birmingham:
- 25% of Rolls Royce’s UK supply chain can be found in the West Midlands.
- Specialisms include: Systems controlling moving parts and engines – mechanical, pneumatic, electronic, hydraulic, Advanced aerospace materials and metals, Specialist engineering design.