Tech & Digital
Greater Birmingham provides an exceptional technological infrastructure, an excellent supply of skills and talent which create a perfect eco-system for creative agencies, games companies and global technology giants. The presence of major players in the region, a young and diverse population and innovative linkages with complementary sectors, Greater Birmingham is quickly becoming a tech hub for the future.
Additionally Greater Birmingham’s supply of digital talent, world-class institutions, first rate facilities and entrepreneurial spirit is creating a melting pot of hybrid digital industries. As the rate of technological change and innovation continues, ‘tech’ is becoming increasingly integrated within every sector and industry. Greater Birmingham is home to centres of excellence and organisations that are developing technologies spanning many sectors and industries.
Tech & Digital in Greater Birmingham
- The University of Birmingham was ranked Number 1 UK University for Computer Sciences and IT in 2014 (The Guardian)
- Centres of excellence include the Computer Science Research Group (CSRG) at Aston University and the Centre of Excellence for Research in Computational Intelligence and Applications (CERCIA) at the University of Birmingham
- Greater Birmingham has one of the largest tech clusters in the UK with 40,000+ employed in the sector
- 25% of the UK’s games workforce is based in Greater Birmingham
- Birmingham was one of the first UK cities to roll out a Fourth Generation (4G) wireless network
- eBay rates the region as the UK’s hotspot for e-commerce start-ups – over 1,000 of these new businesses have contributed over £18 million to the local economy
- A £35 million Digital Plaza – iCentrum – will be one of the first developments within the city centre Enterprise Zone. The development will set the standard for fourth generation science parks and will include a software development playground and a tech incubation facility
- The New Technology Institute (NTI), part of Birmingham City University, produces graduates from super-vocational, industry backed postgraduate degree courses in video games development (Gamer Camp), digital marketing (Future Media) and film marketing and distribution (Film Futures)
Want to learn more about Great Birmingham’s Tech and Digital offering?
Click here to visit the Tech For Life site
Greater Birmingham is also home to a number of FinTech companies with an ever-increasing reputation as a regional tech hub.
Find out more about FinTech in Greater Birmingham on our FinTech website.